Call us today: 0333 400 0033
What to sow and grow in August
Enjoy your garden this month while it’s still looking its best and there are so many delicious fruit and vegetables ready to eat. But August is also the time to start planning ahead if you want colourful autumn and winter blooms, or plenty of produce for your plate over the colder months.
Here’s what you should be sowing and growing in August:
Flowers to sow and grow
Here are the flowers to sow and grow this August:
Herbs & vegetables to sow and grow
Here’s what to sow and grow in the vegetable garden this August:
In the greenhouse / indoors
• Sow winter lettuce such as ' or Arctic King' ' in modules to plant out later this month. Winter Gem'
• Sow and parsley, coriander in seed trays now for growing under glass throughout the winter. chervil
• If you have a greenhouse you can still make sowings of dwarf beans such as
' for an autumn crop. Speedy' Direct sow outdoors
• Winter-hardy spring onions such as ' and White Lisbon' ' should be direct sown now for crops next spring. Performer'
• - continue to make more direct sowings this month for an autumn harvest. Alternatively try sowing Radishes are very quick to crop winter radishes.
• Keep sowing salad leaves outdoors for a continuous harvest.
• Make final sowings of spring cabbages such as ' and April' ' - they’re a great crop to have next April when not much else is ready to eat! Durham Early' into seedbeds now
• or to over-winter for a spring crop. Swiss chard can be sown in drills now for autumn 'baby leaves'
• for cropping throughout the autumn and winter. Corn salad is a fully hardy crop which can be sown outdoors now
• Now is an ideal time to direct sow as it’s prone to bolting if grown before midsummer. pak choi
• There’s still time to make direct sowings of fast-maturing carrots such as '. Adelaide'
• Make a last sowing of outdoors for use as salad leaves. endive
• For something more unusual try growing in a well prepared bed - it will be ready in as little as 8 weeks after sowing. kohl rabi
• Make a final sowing of turnips in drills now.
• Direct sow spinach ' now for autumn and winter cropping. Perpetual'
Sow outdoors for use as an autumn salad leaf. raddichio Plant outdoors
• Plant out early in the month for an autumn harvest. summer/autumn cauliflowers
• Finish planting out early in the month, allowing about 45cm between plants as they get quite big! winter cabbages
• Finish planting out for winter and spring cropping. kale
Fruit to sow and grow
Try growing these fruits this month:
Plant newly pot grown in an area where you haven’t grown strawberries for three years or more to avoid disease. Planting now will allow them to establish well before winter. (or your own runners as soon as they have rooted) strawberry plants Keep one step ahead - what to order this month
What to do in the garden archive