Growing spinach with kids
Spinach is one of the fastest and easiest things to grow. Full of goodness, it can be eaten raw or cooked, and has more vitamins than most other vegetables. There are summer and winter varieties so you can grow it all
year round in containers or in the garden. What you'll need:
• Spinach seeds
• Multipurpose compost and
• Watering can
Step 1: Sow your spinach seeds
• Sow summer varieties March to June and winter varieties in
August and September.
• Summer spinach prefers a shady spot.
• Make a trench (2.5cm deep) with a trowel or your finger.
• Sow your seeds individually, 15cm apart, cover with soil and
Step 2: Grow your spinach
• Keep your spinach well watered.
• Thin your seedlings to 7.5cm apart, once theyâre big enough to
• Winter varieties need protection from October. Cover them to
keep them warm.
• Your spinach is ready to harvest once the leaves are big enough
Step 3: Harvest your spinach!
• Harvest the leaves by pinching them out from the base of the
• You can pick as much or as little as you need - a few leaves for a
salad or a whole plant for a family meal.
• Spinach tastes bitter if the leaves are left to get too big.
• The more you pick, the more leaves your plants will produce!
Popular spinach varieties
'Amazon' - Grow it outdoors or in containers • Spinach
'Mikado' - Pretty, ornamental variety
There's plenty more information in the
downloadable guide. Print it out for more detailed instructions and even more sweetpea facts!
Click the image to download the full pdf guide
See all the Kids Grow guides
Fruit, veg and salad
virtu studio/ Shutterstock
Sign Up For Exclusive Special Offers