Growing radishes with kids
Quick & easy to grow,
radishes are delicious in salads, but you can roast them too. It only takes 3-4 from seed to plate, and if you sow radishes every two weeks, you can enjoy this crunch vegetable all summer. What you'll need:
• Radish seeds
• Multi-purpose compost
• Watering can.
Step 1: Prepare the ground
• Fill a large container or window box with compost.
• Or, if you want to grow your radishes in the ground - rake the soil
• Make a shallow trench (1cm deep) to plant your seeds in. Use a
trowel or your finger.
• For more than one row, space your trenches 15cm apart.
Step 2: Sow your radishes
• Sow summer varieties March to mid-August and winter varieties
in July or August.
• Sow your seeds one at a time, 1cm deep.
• For summer varieties, sow them 2.5cm apart. For winter varieties,
• Cover with soil and gently water.
• Your seeds will start growing in about a week.
Step 3: Look after your radishes
• Water your radishes regularly - keep the soil moist.
• Thin them out once they're big enough to handle, so they have
room to grow.
• Keep summer varieties 2.5cm apart, and winter varieties 15cm
• Your radishes will be ready to harvest in 3-4 weeks. They taste
best when young!
Popular radish varieties:
There's plenty more information in the
downloadable guide. Print it out for more detailed instructions and even more radish facts!
Click the image to download the full pdf guide
See all the Kids Grow guides
Fruit, veg and salad
Sign Up For Exclusive Special Offers