Great battles are fought every day as gardeners strive to protect their precious crops, while a multitude of garden pests and diseases seek to destroy them!
Pest and disease control presents a huge challenge for the gardener, and identifying the cause of the damage is often the hardest part! Those sneaky garden beasties don't always show themselves, so how do you know whether your plants were eaten by a slug or a squirrel? And just what is the difference between downy mildew and powdery mildew?
|• What are ants?
• How to recognise ant damage
• Which plants do ants eat?
• How can I control ants?
• How can I get rid of ants destroying my acers in my garden?
• How can I stop ants on my garden vegetables?
• How do you get rid of ants in compost bins?
• Why are there lots of ants on my peonies?
• Why have I got ants all over the trunks of my apple trees? Will this be a problem for the fruit?
|• What are aphids?
• How to recognise aphid damage
• What plants do aphids eat?
• How can I control aphids?
• How do I get rid of aphids on my apple tree?
• How do I control blackfly on my globe artichokes?
|• Why are my bay tree leaves yellow and curled?
• What are bay tree suckers?
• How to recognise bay tree sucker damage
• What plants do bay tree suckers eat?
• How can I control bay tree sucker damage?
|• What are bean seed flies?
• How to recognise bean seed fly damage
• What plants do bean seed fly eat?
• How can I control bean seed fly?
|• Which birds are garden pests?
• How to recognise bird damage
• How can I control bird damage?
|• Why are cats a gardener’s problem?
• How do I recognise cat damage in my garden?
• Which plants do cats eat?
• How can I protect my plants & garden from cats?
|• What are cherry blackfly?
• How to recognise cherry blackfly damage
• What plants do cherry blackfly eat?
• How can I control cherry blackfly?
|• What is euonymus scale?.
• How to recognise euonymus scale damage
• What do euonymus scale eat?
• How can I control euonymus scale?
• Why has my Euonymus hedge suddenly died?
|• What are gall mites?
• How to recognise gall mite damage
• What do gall mites eat?
• How can I control gall mites?
• What are the grey fluffy growths on my mock orange? I cut a small piece, and it's bright green inside.
|• What are leatherjackets?
• How can I recognise leatherjacket damage?
• What do leatherjackets eat?
• What's the best way to control leatherjackets?
|• What are pear tree blister mites?
• How do recognise pear tree blister mite damage?
• What do pear tree blister mites eat?
• How do I control pear tree blister mites?
|• What are plum fruit moths?
• How do I know if I have plum fruit moths?
• How can I control the spread of plum fruit moths?
|• Why are rabbits a problem for gardeners?
• How do I identify rabbit damage?
• Which plants do rabbits eat?
• How do I protect my plants & garden from rabbits?
|• What are scale insects?
• How do I tell if I have a scale insect infestation?
• What plants do scale insects threaten?
• How do control the spread of scale insects?
|• What are slugs?
• How can I recognise slug damage?
• What do slugs eat?
• How can I control slugs?
|• What are snails?
• How to recognise the presence of snails
• Which plants do snails eat?
• How can I control snails?
• Can I use nematodes to get rid of snails?
• Why have the stems of my clematis been stripped of their outer layers? Some of the stems are dead and there are holes in the leaves
• What are the small transparent jelly things on the back of my water lily leaves?
|• What are spider mites?
• How do I recognise spider mite damage?
• Which plants do spider mites eat?
• How do I control the spread of spider mites?
|• Why are squirrels a problem in the garden?
• How do I recognise squirrel damage?
• What do squirrels eat?
• How can I protect my garden and my plants from squirrels?
• How can I stop squirrels attacking my flower pots?
|• What are tawny mining bees?.
• How do I tell if I have tawny mining bees in my garden?
• What plants do tawny mining bees eat?
• How should I respond to tawny mining bees in my garden?
|• What are viburnum beetles?
• How do I recognise viburnum beetle damage?
• Why have the new leaves on my Viburnum Opulus plants turned into lace?
• What plants do viburnum beetles eat?
• How can I control viburnum beetles?
|• What are vine weevils?
• How can I recognise vine weevil damage?
• What do vine weevils eat?
• How can I control vine weevils?
• Which plants do vine weevils not like?
|• What do worms do?
• How to recognise worm activity
• What damage can worms do?
• How do I get rid of worms in my lawn?
|• What is apple scab?
• How to recognise apple scab
• How do you prevent apple scab?
|• What is bacterial canker?
• How do I tell if my tree has canker?
• How to treat bacterial canker
|• What is blossom wilt
• How do I deal with blossom wilt?
• How to prevent blossom wilt
|• What is botrytis?
• How do I recognise botrytis?
• How to treat botrytis
• How do I prevent botrytis?
|• What is brown rot?
• How to identify brown rot
• How to prevent brown rot
|• What is clematis wilt?
• If it's not clematis wilt, what is it?
• How can I treat clematis wilt?
|• What is downy mildew?
• How do I recognise downy mildew?
• Is there any cure for downy mildew?
• Disease resistance
|• What is a fungus?
• How to spot a plant fungal infection
• How to prevent plant fungal infections
• What to do if your plants are infected with fungi
• Why are my begonia stems rotting?
• What's the white powder on my potato leaves?
• Does your Japanese Maple bush leaves have tiny white speckles on?
|• What is blackleg
• How do I recognise geranium blackleg?
• How do I prevent geranium blackleg?
• How to treat geranium blackleg
|• What is honey fungus?
• How to recognise honey fungus
• How to treat honey fungus
• How to prevent honey fungus
|• What is leaf scorch?
• What to do about leaf scorch
• Are there diseases that cause leaf scorch?
|• What is leaf spot?
• How to treat leaf spot
• How to prevent leaf spot
|• What is leek rust?
• How do I deal with rust on my leeks?
• How to prevent leek rust
|• What causes lily disease?
• How to treat lily disease
• How to prevent lily disease
|• What is peach leaf curl?
• How can I prevent peach leaf curl?
• How to treat peach leaf curl
|• What is pear rust?
• What to do about pear rust
|• What is Phytophthora ramorum?
• What to do about phytophthora ramorum root rot
|• What is potato and tomato blight?
• How to recognise potato and tomato bligh
• How to treat potato and tomato blight
• How to prevent potato and tomato blight
|• What is powdery mildew
• How do I recognise powdery mildew?
• How do I treat powdery mildew?
• How do I prevent powdery mildew?
|• What is silver leaf fungus?
• How do I recognise silver leaf fungus?
• How to treat silver leaf fungus
• How to prevent silver leaf fungus
|• What is tomato greenback?
• How to prevent tomato greenback
|• What is tomato leaf curl?
• What causes tomato leaf curl?
|• What is tomato stem canker?
• How to recognise tomato stem canker?
• How to treat tomato stem canker?
• How to prevent tomato stem canker?
For the chance to be featured, share your plant pictures with us
on Instagram by using the hashtag #YourTMGarden