Harvest both tomatoes AND potatoes from this unique plant!
Incredible innovation in vegetable growing
All natural - no GM
Height Up to 200cm (78.7in)
Spread Up to 50cm (19.7in)
patiokitchen gardengreenhouseconservatoryspecimen plant
Here's another major horticultural breakthrough from Thompson & Morgan! Specially hand-grafted plants producing potatoes AND tomatoes are now available to UK home gardeners for the first time. Above the ground harvest harvest over 500 cherry tomatoes with a Brix level of 10.2 - that's sweeter than supermarket tomatoes. Fruits also have just the right level of acidity that only the tastiest tomatoes have.
BUT THAT'S NOT ALL... Below the ground harvest heavy yields of up to 2kg of delicious white potatoes which are incredibly versatile. You can boil them, mash them, roast them or make chips. That's right! From one plant you can harvest tomatoes AND potatoes. This concept has been worked on for over 15 years, but this is the first time that plants have been successfully produced commercially. Tomatoes are members of the potato family and are therefore naturally compatible with potatoes. Each TomTato® plant is specially grafted by hand to create this unique double cropping feature. There's no genetic modification - it's an all-natural, and safe process.
TomTato® makes the perfect growing partner for our new Egg & Chips™ plant. Why not try them together for three easy crops from two large pots?
Plant height and spread is seasonal therefore we list by pot size rather than a defined plant size. The height and spread of the plant delivered will vary depending on the season, meaning arrival images are an indication only.
1 x 9cm potted TomTato plant + 100g of incredicrop (T57484)
3 x 9cm potted TomTato plants + 300g of incredicrop (T57485)
• Grow TomTato® plants on in warm, frost-free conditions until all risk of frost has passed, potting on if necessary to a slightly bigger pot. Alternatively plant TomTato® directly into its final position in a frost-free greenhouse. Once all risk of frost has passed, gradually acclimatise indoor plants to outdoor conditions over a period of 7 to 10 days.
• Grow TomTato® in a greenhouse or sheltered position outside in full sun. For best results grow in a container which holds at least 40 litres of compost such as our Patio Planters, or a deep container with at least 50cm (20") diameter. A large container is needed for proper development of both crops.
• Plant grafted tomato-potato plants with the graft union below soil level, burying the stem up to the second tomato leaf from the base. This aids stability and growth, and ensures the potatoes develop fully underground. Water thoroughly after planting.
• Support your TomTato® plant as it grows, using several stout 1.5m (5') canes, or a similar strong support frame. TomTato® produces vigorous growth and heavy trusses of fruit, so will require regular tying to its support with soft garden twine.
• Alternatively grow TomTato® plants in the ground on fertile, reliably moist, well drained soil. Prepare the soil in early spring by adding plenty of well rotted manure to improve its structure and fertility. Space plants at a distance of 60cm (24") apart and water them thoroughly after planting.
• Water TomTato® plants frequently to keep the compost evenly moist. Once the first truss of fruit has formed, feed regularly with a high potash plant food such as Chempak® Soluble Tomato Food (1kg pack just £9.99). Feed weekly at the first truss stage, twice weekly at the second truss stage and at every watering by the 3rd truss stage. Plants will benefit from the application of Chempak® Calcium Multi Action Fertiliser during peak cropping times to prevent blossom end rot.
• Due to its fast growth, make sure you tie TomTato® to its support regularly. Each week remove any side-shoots that develop between the main stem and the leaf stems. Watch our Sideshooting Tomato Plants Video for further advice.
• TomTato® plants can sometimes produce potato foliage from the base of the plants which may grow through the tomato foliage. These can be removed by pinching out to ground level and will not affect the potato harvest. If however this is left to grow through the tomato foliage, any potato flowers should be removed. Top up the compost in containers every so often to prevent potatoes near the soil surface from becoming green and inedible.
• Once container-grown plants have produced 6 or 7 trusses pinch out the top of the main stem, two leaves above the last truss. This focuses the plant’s energy on producing a good crop of high quality tomatoes. Greenhouse plants do not require stopping and can be left to grow on as required.
• Tomatoes can be harvested as they ripen from July to October. To help ripen green tomatoes, harvest red tomatoes regularly. If growing TomTato® in containers they can be moved to a frost-free position in the autumn for prolonged crops of tomatoes. Once the tomatoes have finished cropping, cut back plants and harvest the potatoes below. If plants contract the fungal disease blight, cut the stems to ground level and dispose of all foliage. Leave potatoes in the ground for 2 weeks before lifting.
• If growing TomTato® outdoors, remove any remaining green tomato trusses before the first frosts in autumn. Cut the plant stem to ground level and leave for 10 days before lifting the potatoes below. PLEASE NOTE: Although potato plants normally produce poisonous fruits, crops from TomTato® pose no risk and have been certified free of any harmful glycoalkaloids.
Seeds and garden supplies will normally be delivered within the time period stated against each product as detailed above. Plants, bulbs, corms, tubers, shrubs, trees, potatoes, etc. are delivered at the appropriate time for planting or potting on. Delivery times will be stated on the product page above, or in your order acknowledgement page and email.
Orders for packets of seed incur a delivery charge of £2.99.
Orders which include any other products will incur a delivery charge of £4.99.
Where an order includes both packets of seeds and other products, a maximum delivery charge of £6.99 will apply - regardless of the number of items ordered.
Large items may incur a higher delivery charge - this will be displayed in your shopping basket.
Please see our Delivery page for further details, and more information on different charges that may apply to certain destinations.
For more information on how we send your plants please visit our Helpful Guide on plant sizes.
Thompson & Morgan strives to ensure that all its plants are delivered to you in the perfect condition for planting. Sadly, the time it takes to deliver to certain locations in the UK means that we can't guarantee this, so regretfully we are unable to ship live plants to the following areas: HS, IV41-IV49, IV51, IV55-56, KW15-KW17, PA34, PA41-48, PA60-PA78, PA80, PH40-PH44, TR21-TR24, ZE1-ZE3
For the chance to be featured, share your plant pictures with us
on Instagram by using the hashtag #YourTMGarden