Here's another major horticultural breakthrough from Thompson & Morgan! Specially hand-grafted plants producing potatoes AND tomatoes are now available to UK home gardeners for the first time. Above the ground harvest harvest over 500 cherry tomatoes with a Brix level of 10.2 - that's sweeter than supermarket tomatoes. Fruits also have just the right level of acidity that only the tastiest tomatoes have.
• Grow TomTato™ plants on in warm, frost-free conditions until all risk of frost has passed, potting on if necessary to a slightly bigger pot. Once all risk of frost has passed, gradually acclimatise them to outdoor conditions over a period of 7 to 10 days.
• Grow TomTato™ in a greenhouse or sheltered position outside in full sun. For best results grow in a container which holds at least 40 litres of compost such as our Patio Planters, or a deep container with at least 50cm (20") diameter. A large container is needed for proper development of both crops.
• Plant grafted tomato-potato plants with the graft union below soil level, burying the stem up to the second tomato leaf from the base. This aids stability and growth, and ensures the potatoes develop fully underground. Water thoroughly after planting.
• Support your TomTato™ plant as it grows, using several stout 1.5m (5') canes, or a similar strong support frame. TomTato™ produces vigorous growth and heavy trusses of fruit, so will require regular tying to its support with soft garden twine.
• Alternatively grow TomTato™ plants in the ground on fertile, reliably moist, well drained soil. Prepare the soil in early spring by adding plenty of well rotted manure to improve its structure and fertility. Space plants at a distance of 60cm (24") apart and water them thoroughly after planting.
• Water TomTato™ plants frequently to keep the compost evenly moist. Once the first truss of fruit has formed, feed regularly with a high potash plant food such as Chempak® Soluble Tomato Food (1kg pack just £9.99). Feed weekly at the first truss stage, twice weekly at the second truss stage and at every watering by the 3rd truss stage. Plants will benefit from the application of Chempak® Calcium Multi Action Fertiliser during peak cropping times to prevent blossom end rot.
• Due to its fast growth, make sure you tie TomTato™ to its support regularly. Each week remove any side-shoots that develop between the main stem and the leaf stems. Watch our Sideshooting Tomato Plants Video for further advice.
• Although rare, if any potato shoots appear at the base of the plant, pinch them out to ground level as they will weaken the plant. Top up the compost in containers every so often to prevent potatoes near the soil surface from becoming green and inedible.
• Once container-grown plants have produced 6 or 7 trusses (or up to 5 trusses if grown outdoors), pinch out the top of the main stem. This focuses the plant's energy on producing a good crop of high quality tomatoes. Greenhouse plants do not require stopping and can be left to grow on as required.
• Tomatoes can be harvested as they ripen from July to October. To help ripen green tomatoes, harvest red tomatoes regularly. If growing TomTato™ in containers they can be moved to a frost-free position in the autumn for prolonged crops of tomatoes. Once the tomatoes have finished cropping, cut back plants and harvest the potatoes below. If plants contract the fungal disease blight, cut the stems to ground level and dispose of all foliage. Leave potatoes in the ground for 2 weeks before lifting.
• If growing TomTato™ outdoors, remove any remaining green tomato trusses before the first frosts in autumn. Cut the plant stem to ground level and leave for 10 days before lifting the potatoes below. PLEASE NOTE: Although potato plants normally produce poisonous fruits, crops from TomTato™ pose no risk and have been certified free of any harmful glycoalkaloids.
Seeds and garden supplies will normally be delivered within the time period stated against each product as detailed above. Plants, bulbs, corms, tubers, shrubs, trees, potatoes etc are delivered at the appropriate time for planting and will be stated on the product page or in your order acknowledgement page and email.
Orders for packets of seed incur a P&P charge of £1.95.
Orders which include any other products will incur a P&P charge of £4.95.
Where an order includes both packets of seeds and other products a maximum P&P charge of £6.90 will apply - regardless of the number of items ordered.
Please see our Delivery / P&P page for further details and details of any surcharges that may apply to certain destinations.