Ratatou-ish - Belinda Estell in Southampton
Belinda says: "As hubby and I don't like augergines this is my alternative dish to use my courgettes from the veggie patch, it makes a great pasta sauce or as a tasty accompaniment to sausages and mashed potato. I usually make large batches to freeze, in portions for two, which can then be microwaved straight from the freezer."
- Olive oil
- 2 medium sized onions roughly chopped
- 8 button mushrooms quartered
- 3 courgettes sliced
- 1 or 2 chilli peppers deseeded and finely chopped
- 6 tomatoes skinned and chopped (or 1 x 400g tin)
- Quarter teaspoon of sugar
- Good pinch of salt and pepper
- 1 teaspoon of paprika
- 2 teaspoons of dried oregano
- Pinch of saffron (optional)
- Lightly fry the onions, mushrooms, courgettes and chilli peppers in the olive oil, adding the salt and pepper.
- Add the tomatoes and sugar, gently bring to a simmer.
- Stir in the paprika, oregano and saffron and continue to gently simmer for 15 minutes leaving the pan uncovered.