Sweet Hot Chilli and Tomato Chutney - Belinda Estell from Southampton
Belinda Estell from Southampton has sent in another fabulous recipe. This time she has shown us a great way of using up a glut of tomatoes - even the green ones! You can adjust the amount of chillis you use depending on how spicy you want it to be as well!
- 4lb red, green or a mix of tomatoes
- 2 large onions
- 1 large green salad pepper
- 12 apache chillis (use less if you don't like too much spice!)
- 1 large cooking apple
- 1 heaped desert spoon of dried oregano
- 1 level teaspoon of saffron
- 1 heaped teaspoon of paprika
- Olive oil
- 400ml red wine vinegar
- 600g sugar
- A good slug of worcester sauce
- Cut the tomatos in half, place in a roasting tray with a little olive oil, salt and pepper, roast for 15 minutes.
- Take out, allow to cool and remove skins (easy!).
- Finely chop onions, chillis (without seeds) and pepper, fry in a little olive oil until soft.
- Pour in the roasted tomatos and add oregano, saffron, paprika, salt, pepper and worcester sauce. Bring to a simmer.
- Peel, core and finely chop apple and add to pan.
- Add red wine vinegar and bring back to simmer.
- Slowly add sugar, continually stirring. Cover and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Remove lid and simmer vigorously, occasionally stirring, for 15 minutes.
- Spoon into warmed jars and seal.