Courgette and Parmesan Soup - Aimee Clarke
This creamy soup is perfect for using up a glut of courgettes and a great way to make use of those extra-large courgettes! Aimee says "My brother and his girlfriend had a glut of courgettes and lots of them had grown rather large, so I got presented with a giant courgette as a gift! Not really knowing what to do with it I thought the best bet would be to turn it into kind of soup, and ever since this soup has been one of my favourites. You can add as much parmesan as you like and is extra lovely with a little more cheese sprinkled on top at the end! I also tried it using gruyere and this worked really well too! As I have used a very large courgette the soup was naturally quite thick and creamy, but if it's a bit watery you could try adding some cooked potatoes and blending them together to make it thicker and even some single cream at the end to make it extra creamy if you wish!"
- olive oil
- 1 tbsp chopped garlic
- a handful of mixed herbs - fresh basil works really well, as does oregano, chives and parsley
- salt and pepper - to taste
- 1kg courgettes, chopped into small chunks
- 1 fresh chilli - optional
- 750ml stock
- 50g freshly grated parmesan - plus extra to serve
- a swirl of single cream - optional
- Gently cook the chopped courgettes, garlic and herbs in a heavy based saucepan until the courgette has begun to soften.
- Season generously with salt and black pepper. You can also some chopped fresh chilli at this stage if you wish!
- Add the stock and simmer until the courgette is completely softened - about 10 minutes.
- Blend the soup until smooth - if you wish you can keep back some of the cooked courgette and add into the rest of the blended soup to give some texture.
- Now add in your parmesan cheese and stir until it has melted into the soup. You can now add more salt and pepper to taste and then add in the cream at this point if you wish, although I find that when using a large courgette it is already quite creamy!
- Serve with a sprinkle of parmesan on top and some extra black pepper, if you wish!
This soup is perfect for using up a glut of courgettes, especially those extra-large ones!