Offering excellent value for money, this spring planting collection includes a good range of varieties, each with their own unique qualities. These asparagus plants will ensure a long cropping season and a reliable supply of delicious asparagus spears. Height: 150cm (59"). Spread: 45cm (18").
- Collection comprises 5 crowns each of:
- Asparagus 'Mondeo' (Early - Late April to end of June) - An all male hybrid with impressive yields and quality, especially early in the season. Has a strong asparagus taste and can be eaten raw in salads.
- Asparagus 'Pacific 2000' (Early to mid season - Late April to mid June) - From New Zealand breeding, consistently winning in taste tests; the spears are practically string-less and are delicious eaten raw in salads as well as lightly cooked.
- Asparagus 'Pacific Purple' (Mid season - Mid May to end of June) - From New Zealand breeding, producing stringless spears that are more tender and sweet than many green varieties. Enjoy the flavour and the benefits of the anti-oxidants that come with the purple colour. Best steamed or eaten raw with dips, or sliced in salads to retain the colouring.
- Asparagus 'Guelph Millenium' (Late season - Mid May to early July) - An RHS AGM variety, this male hybrid was bred in Canada making it particularly cold tolerant and well suited to UK weather conditions. Spears are late to appear but produce good flushes of top quality spears in a short period and are tolerant to hot weather conditions during the harvest period.
20 crowns can be planted in a bed of 7 ½ ft x 10 ft, planted 45cm (18") between crowns and 75cm (30") between rows. This area will provide over 250 spears each year once the crowns are established, from the second year after planting. If well tended, the bed can last for over 20 years.
How to grow asparagus