Fat Free Cherry Cake - Jacqui Brown
Jacqui says: "Here is my favourite recipe that I bake at least once a week as I just love something sweet at the end of a meal, but being virtually fat free it isn't too naughty! We are lucky enough to have an orchard in Poitou-Charentes, France with 5 large cherry trees and we freeze the fruit to use all year round. We also have plum, peach, apple, pear and quince trees so I vary the recipe to use whatever is most abundant!"
- Enough cherries to fill the bottom of a lined flan tin
- 3 eggs
- 65g sugar
- 110g plain flour
- 1 tbsp cornflour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 2 tbsp natural yoghurt
- 50g ground almonds
- a few drops of almond essence
- Beat the eggs and sugar for at least five minutes until very frothy and pale.
- Gently fold in the yoghurt and almond essence, and then half the dry ingredients sieved, then the remainder.
- Try and lose as little of the air as possible.
- Pour the batter over the cherries and bake in a preheated oven (gas 4) for about 20 mins, or until the top is golden and springs back to the touch.
- Leave to cool and then turn out upside down onto a plate.
- Serve warm or cold with a healthy dollop of natural yoghurt.