Cucumber Pickle - Elizabeth McMahon
Elizabeth McMahon from Ayrshire has sent in this cucumber pickle, which is great for using up a glut of cucumbers. Elizabeth says "It is very easy to make and delicious served with cold chicken any cold meat and salad - any left over juice can be used as a dressing for your salad. Also the cider vinegar is good for arthritic problems."
- 2 cups sliced or cubed cucumber
- 5 medium onions, thinly sliced
- 1 green pepper
- 1 red pepper
- 3 cloves garlic (optional)
- 1/3 cup salt
- 2 cups wine or cider vinegar
- 5 cups white sugar
- 1 ½ teaspoons turmeric
- 1 ½ teaspoons celery seed
- 2 tablespoons mustard seed
- Put cucumber, onions, peppers and garlic into a bowl layered with salt. Cover and put into the fridge for 2 hours. Drain and wash out salt well.
- Put sugar, spices and vinegar into a pan and slowly bring to the boil. Boil for 5 mins. Add vegetables and slowly bring to boiling point, but do not boil. Pot and cover.